The Power of Calm – Optional Practical Module
Identifying the symptoms of stress
Enroll to take the course
… and how they can be managed.
Detailed instructions for using the Address Stress app.
A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
The Relaxation Exercises tab on the Main Menu gives you access to individual Address Stress exercises anytime you choose.
Getting started involves just two simple steps:
1. Choose Exercise
- 10-Minute exercise
- 15-Minute exercise
- 20-Minute exercise
2. The duration you choose will depend on:
- The time you have available to do the exercise
- How comfortable you are with the relaxation exercises in general
Usually we suggest that you start with 10 minutes and work your way up as time and comfort permit.
Voice Guided Tutorial
In addition to the 10, 15 and 20 minute exercises there is also a Voice Guided Tutorial. This track will comprehensively guide you through a 10-minute Address Stress exercise, explaining the basic elements common to all the exercises.
We suggest that all new users start with the tutorial.
2. Choose Breath Rate
Each exercise contains a period of guided breathing.
Some folks breathe slower, and some a little faster, so the app has three different levels to choose from:
Steady: Guided breathing rate between 8-9 breaths per minute
Moderate: Guided breathing rate between 6-8 breaths per minute
Slow: Guided breathing rate between 5-7 breaths per minute
Generally, most people choose to start with ‘Moderate’. If that feels too fast, try ‘Slow’.
Each exercise will guide you to gently slow your breathing, so it is important that you choose a level that starts you at a breath rate you are comfortable with.
The exercises are not supposed to be challenging. Your breathing should always be calm, relaxed and gentle.
If at any time during an exercise you feel uncomfortable, simply stop the exercise and try a more appropriate level. As always, you can press the help button for more information.
Once you’ve selected your exercise duration and your breath rate, you’re almost ready to go. Press the Next button at the bottom of the screen to advance to the Main Exercise page.
THE MAIN EXERCISE PAGE
Each Address Stress exercise is divided into 5 simple parts.
All you need to do is sit back, relax and listen.
The progress bar (below) tracks your progress through the exercises. The exercises are designed to be done with your eyes closed, but the progress bar will allow you to sneak a peek at your progress if you ever feel the need.
The segments will appear as soon as you press the Start button and will gradually fill with colour as your exercise progresses.
Each Address Stress exercise is divided up similarly:
A new sound will fade in. This is your breath guide.
- Breathe in as the sound rises and out as the sounds falls.
- Breathing calmly and full from your belly (diaphragm), rather than shallow from your chest may give you more control.
- Breathe through your nose if you can.
The breath guide will gently slow your breathing as the exercise progresses.
- The breath guide will fade out and leave you surrounded by calming sounds for a few minutes.
- Just sit quietly and breathe however it feels comfortable.
- Your breathing may slow down, speed up, or stay the same. There is no right or wrong. Just relax and enjoy the sounds.
The calming sounds will fade to silence. Enjoy the calm and stillness for a few moments.
Light, crisp chimes will slowly bring your attention back to your surroundings. When you hear them, start to gently bring your awareness back to your body.
- Rub your hands
- Shift your feet
- Touch your face
In fact, do whatever you like to calmly re-engage with the world around you. But please keep your eyes closed until the chimes fade to complete silence. Once the chimes have totally faded, your exercise is complete. Slowly open your eyes and return to your daily activities, hopefully feeling a little calmer and clearer.
Ready to start?
Simply press the Start button, sit back, and get ready to enjoy some serious relaxation!
If you’re having trouble getting into the exercises or something doesn’t feel quite right, simply stop the exercise and press the Help button.
The Help button will give you access to a trouble shooting screen that addresses the most common issues new users experience.
Topics covered include:
- Choosing the right breath rate
- How to deal with busy thoughts
- What to do if you feel a little unsettled during your exercise
- Tips on how best to interact with the exercise
If at anytime during an exercise you feel unwell please stop the track and talk to your health practitioner before you continue.
Release some steam with a Pressure Valve exercise.
- The Pressure Valve exercise is a short ‘quick relax’, two-minute breathing exercise that can be done anytime during the day to help calm and centre you.
- You can access it from the Main Menu page of the Address Stress app.
- Sit comfortably (eyes open or closed) and breathe in and out with the breath guide.
- If you are doing the Pressure Valve exercise with eyes open, you may wish to mute the sound using the speaker button at the bottom right of the screen.
- The Pressure Valve is designed to help you let out some steam when you feel a stress response starting to build.
Sometimes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
The 14-Day Program
- The full version of the Address Stress app gives you access to three different 14-Day Programs, each designed to help you get into the habit of bringing a little bit of calm into your daily routine.
- The app will guide you through selecting and setting up a program of your choice.
- The 14-Day Programs are centered around the Address Stress relaxation exercises but also include strategies aimed at stress awareness and stress minimisation.
If you’d like to try one of the programs, please proceed to Optional Module 5.
Module 4 (Optional) - Stress reduction exercises
Module 5 (Optional) - Turning knowledge into habit